Here are 5 simple, sustainable rules that I recommend to my clients & personally follow for nutrition that help me to build & maintain lean body mass, recover from training & feel satiated.
1. PROTEIN: In my experience working with clients, most people, especially women, are not eating enough protein. Eat 1g of protein per 1# lean body mass daily. e.g. if you weigh around 115# eat 90-100g of protein per day. Divide the protein up over however many meals you eat in a day. I eat 4-5 meals per day so I eat 3-4oz of protein at each meal.
2. CARBS: I’m referring to grains & starchy carbs NOT vegetables.
- the fastest-acting macronutrient source for energy transfer;
- primary source of energy for your brain; &
- storage of carbs in the body is limited;
THUS the glucose we use for energy transfer must often be generated from our dietary intake of carbs. So, EAT CARBS!
TIMING! Eat carbs based upon activity level. The more active you are in a day then the more carbs you will need to eat that day. Also time consumption of carbs around activity. e.g. I eat more carbs before & after my workouts & fewer carbs at mealtimes farther away from my workouts.
3. HEALTHY FATS: Eat more non saturated (avocados, olive oil, nuts in moderation) vs. saturated (egg yolks, coconut oil, cheese, butter).
TIMING! Time consumption of healthy fats at mealtimes farther away from workouts. Fat slows down the digestion process & at meals closest to your workouts you want your body to be able to replenish carbs & protein quickly w/o fat slowing down digestion. I recommend about ½ serving of healthy fat at the meals you choose to eat healthy fats.
4. FOOD ALLERGIES/INTOLERANCES: One HUGE GAME CHANGER for me was getting tested for food allergies & intolerances. Avoiding foods that you are allergic or intolerant to helps to reduce inflammation in the body facilitating better digestion & nutrient absorption.
5. SMALLER MORE FREQUENT MEALS: Eat smaller more frequent meals 4-5/day. This helps you to feel satiated & not get to the point that you are ravenous & want to eat everything in sight.
What are YOUR TOP 1-3 nutrition MUSTS?? Please share!
Yours in Strength,