I Did Not Wake Up Like This
I Did Not Wake Up Like This.
A few weeks ago during the Iron Body Garage Gang training sesh, the ladies asked me what weight do I usually use when I do get-ups.
My answer: “24kg* (53lbs)” – *When I’m training singles.
Followed up by: “I did not wake up like this.”
It took YEARS for me to build strength to easily do get-ups with 24kg. Strength takes time; AND it takes YEARS to build muscle – e.g. This is why it takes bodybuilders and physique competitors year after year competing to build their best physiques.
Often I hear, “If I train with you, will I have a body like you?”and “I want my body to look like yours.”
These compliments are flattering, but,
- if your goal is aesthetic, then you should seek to build the best physical version of yourself, whatever that is, comparing your aesthetic goal or results to your past self, without comparing yourself to others’ bodies. Although, when I was 15 I started lifting weights because I wanted arms like Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2…
- You may start out with an aesthetic goal and as you get stronger that goal may turn into a performance goal.
- At age 42, my body is the result of MANY years of physical activity & consistent strength training.
- Age 3 ½ – started classical ballet. Danced until age 27.
- Age 15 – started strength training, inspired by Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2.
- Age 27 – started training in kung fu.
- Age 32 – completed black belt in kung fu & started training with kettlebells – this was when the magic really started to happen.
- Age 35 – started training for the StrongFirst Iron Maiden Challenge
- Age 38 – completed the Iron Maiden Challenge
- Age 39 – started powerlifting, competed in first powerlifting meet & deadlifted 300lbs
Hence, strength takes time and it takes YEARS to build muscle.
SO, if you are just starting out with your strength and muscle journey, as long as you are consistent, e.g. strength train 3-5x/week consistently like you brush your teeth daily, you will likely start to see results within the first 4-6 weeks of training and the best progress is noticed when you compare yourself to where YOU started and to where you were 3, 6, 12 months prior to the present.
Happy Thanksgiving! AND Remember! Pre Black Friday Sale & access to my Holiday Swing Challenge 5-day program ends TONIGHT at 11:59 PM PT.
Back in 2014 and 2015 I did a Holiday Swing Challenge to help us all stay sane and in shape through the holidays. We had such a sweaty blast that I decided to upload the 5-day program to my Iron Body Training Systems online training group on Exercise.com.
Get 50% off my online training group FOR A LIMITED TIME THROUGH TONIGHT AT 11:59 PM PT!
You will get:
- Access to the Holiday Swing Challenge Program
- Access to all 25 other programs available in the group!
- Personalized coaching from ME via the premium group in Exercise.com AND my private Facebook online training group.
Use code ‘HOLIDAYSWING’ & sign up ==> HERE <==
- Click on link
- Click on “JOIN THIS GROUP”
- Enter code ‘HOLIDAYSWING’ at check out.
Group online training rate will go up in 2019 so lock your discounted monthly rate in NOW!
Offer ends TONIGHT at 11:59 PM Pacific Time.
I look forward to swinging with you!
Yours in Strength,
Iron Body Training Systems