Pull-up Tip, “Slingshot” Your Hollow Position
Recently someone asked me if I had any tips on how to pull up higher on the bar when doing a pull-up, i.e. How to get throat or chest to bar.
My answer: Just keep training. There are no tricks. You have to train pull-ups consistently and by training pull-ups consistently you will build up the strength to get chest to bar over time, and dial in the technique to add explosiveness to your pull-up. Haha 😉
With that I provided some suggestions about how to focus on building this explosiveness with your pull-up as you train pull-ups consistently (e.g. 4-5x/wk), and build up the strength and hone in on the skill.
The explosiveness comes when you know how to maximize the hollow position at the right moment in order to generate power. Notice in this video, as I am about halfway through my pull-up, I almost pull the trigger on my hollow position to explode up and over the bar and get my throat to bar (18kg-40lbs pull-up shown in this video).
By doing this, you are almost “slingshotting” yourself higher up on the bar with your hollow position.
It’s a very subtle boost that I add to the hollow as I pull that helps to generate this explosiveness. It takes daily practice of dialing in the technique, making sure to start it from a dead hang, while building up the strength to be able to pull one’s bodyweight up over the bar.
Other drills you could apply to help to feel the kinesthetic cue of the explosiveness that should occur are:
- Add a superband to your pull-up so that it’s easy for you to start from a dead hang and then be able to explode up with strength and speed.
- Add a light kettlebell on your foot & drop it at the halfway point, right before you explode up over the bar. This will help to emphasize the feeling of explosiveness.
LADIES! If you want to learn more about the pull-up then join me for my women’s strength workshop I Am Not Afraid To Lift® on March 11, 2018 Barbell Republic Las Vegas. Early Bird ENDS THIS Sunday February 25, 2018. Sign Up HERE
Also, I have 2 other LIVE training events coming up here in Las Vegas:
- “Ladies Lift – Las Vegas” IN PERSON Small Group Training at my home training facility starts February 27. Women ONLY small group, maximum of 4 people per group, meets Tuesdays at 6:30 PM and Saturdays at 9 AM through May 19, 2018 (12-week commitment, 2x per week and 1x per week available). Sign Up HERE for 2x per week. Sign up HERE for 1x per week. (Contact me with questions via the contact form below…)
- StrongFirst Kettlebell Course on March 25, 2018 at Life Time Athletic – Summerlin. Sign up HERE.
Contact me with questions about any of these LIVE training events by filling out the Contact Form below…
Yours in Strength,
Learn more technique & tips like this at my women’s strength workshop I Am Not Afraid To Lift® on March 11, 2018 at Barbell Republic in Las Vegas Nevada. This strength workshop is exclusive to women ONLY.
Sign Up HERE
EARLY BIRD RATE ENDS FEBRUARY 25, 2018!!
At the Lift® workshop you will learn,
- The importance and benefits of strength training and why being strong trumps the scale and being “toned”.
- Kettlebell Lifts
- Front Squat
- Military Press
- Two Handed Swing
- Barbell Lifts*
- Back Squat
- Bench Press
- *(If time Front Squat and Military Press will be taught as accessory exercises to Back Squat and Bench Press)
- Bodyweight and Core:
- Hanging Leg Raise
- Ab Wheel Rollout
- Strong Mindset Strategies such as how to improve your inner dialogue, and own your lifts in the gym.
- Strength Program Design
NOTE: There are practice segments and practical hands-on workouts throughout the workshop.
Personal Trainers who attend will receive .8 NASM CEUs for attending the workshop.
You can sign up for the workshop HERE
This workshop is appropriate for women who lift of ALL levels, from beginners to advanced lifters. From women who have never lifted weights before who want to learn the basics of a push-up or how to achieve their first unassisted pull-up, and for those advanced lifters who want to take their training to the next level by improving program design or by learning new techniques to work towards a specific strength goal such as a weighted pull-up, a new 1 rep max for barbell deadlift, or a max bodyweight press. This workshop will help you to sharpen skills and learn programming in order to reach your goal.
I hope that you that you will join me for this phenomenal and life changing event!
Sign Up HERE
Yours in Strength,
I Am Not Afraid To Lift® is a registered trademark.